skip to Main Content
1377 Weston Rd., 2nd Floor, Unit 1  |   (647) 573 4831  |  Jonathan and Adriana Whiteside

Documents needed to get married in Cuba

Quite often our clients feel overwhelmed when trying to understand the requirements they need to get married in Cuba. We have extensive experience doing our clients’ translations and also helping them with the legalization of their documents. Here are some examples of the types of documents you will need to get married in Cuba and which are the documents that the Cuban consulate in Toronto requires.

If you are Canadian and  are getting married in Cuba, you will need the original documents or a certified copy of them plus a notarized translation into Spanish  (if the documents are not in Spanish) for each document.


  • Birth Certificate
  • Single Status Affidavit


  • Birth Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate
  • Single Status Affidavit


  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Death Certificate

steps to getting married in Cuba
You will need the original documents + the original notarized translations. Once you have that, you’ll need to authenticate all the documents either at ODS in Toronto or Global Affairs in Ottawa. ODS only authenticates documents from Ontario; if your documents are from another country or another province other than Ontario you’ll need to authenticate them at Global Affairs in Ottawa.

Note: Global Affairs will not authenticate the wallet-size birth certificates; they will only authenticate original certificates issued by the Vital Statistics Office and that are signed by the Registrar. See this information:

Global Affairs Birth Certificate

* If your documents are not from Canada, the requirements are different. You’ll need your documents to be stamped by your country’s consulate/embassy, after that they’ll need to be authenticated at Global Affairs. If that’s not possible, your other option would be to authenticate your document in your country and legalize it in the Cuban consulate/embassy of that country. As long as your document has a stamp from the Cuban consulate it’ll be accepted in Cuba.

Once your documents are authenticated you can make an appointment at the consulate of Cuba in Toronto. You can contact them via email at  and send them a picture or scanned copy of all the documents already authenticated + a copy of your passport so they can review that your documents are ok. Then, they’ll get back to you with any questions or a date for an appointment. They charge $176 per each document in English and Spanish. So, if you have 2 English and 2 Spanish documents, your total would be $704. They accept payments via INTERACT debit card or money order or Canadian bank Certified Check made to “Consulate General of Cuba” or “Consulado General de Cuba”.

Official link of the consulate of Cuba in Toronto:


Documents to translate to Spanish

Birth Certificate

Birth Certificate to translate for the Cuban consulate

Information on how to get a divorce certificate (36B) in Ontario

Divorce Certificate - For Ontario; it has to be form 36B

Divorce Certificate to Translate - Toronto

How to prepare the single status affidavit

IMPORTANT: The single status affidavit has to be signed in front of a notary public for it to be valid. Otherwise it won’t be accepted by the Cuban consulate. See examples:

Single Status Affidavit

Single Status Affidavit to translate - Toronto

Single Status + Identity Affidavit

Single Status Affidavit to translate

We deliver throughout Canada

British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

English and Spanish Translations
Professional Spanish Translator in Toronto

Cuban Consulate in Toronto

5353 Dundas West,
Suite 205,
Toronto, ON,
M9B 6H8
Telephone: (416) 234-8181
Open to the public: from 10 am to 1:00 pm – Wednesdays closed

Once you get married and if you want to sponsor your spouse to come to Canada, you can check this link to help you prepare the documentation you will need:

We also recommend that you contract the service of a professional immigration lawyer. We can personally recommend Penny Yektaeian (immigration lawyer), we know from personal experience that she is a lawyer that takes a personal interest in the success of her clients; as well, her prices are fair and reasonable. Her office is in Toronto, but she can help you with your immigration needs anywhere you are. Here is her contact information:

Penny Yektaeian


If you are planning to get married in Cuba and you have questions regarding the legalization of documents, we are here to hep.

You question may be,  “How much does the whole process cost?”, ” What documents do I need?”, “How long does it take?”, “What if I am divorced?”, “What if I wasn’t born in Canada?”, “What if I don’t have a birth certificate?”, “Can someone do the procedure on my behalf?”, and any other questions that you might have. If we don’t know the answer we’ll try to find out.

Serving:  Ajax, Barrie, Brampton, Burlington, Calgary,  Collingwood, Edmonton,  Guelph, Georgetown, HalifaxHamilton, Innisfil, King City, Markham, Midland, Milton, Mississauga, Newmarket, Niagara, North York, Oakville, Orangeville,  Orillia, Oshawa, Ottawa, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Scarborough, St. Catharines, St. John’s, Thornhill, Toronto, Vancouver, Vaughan, Victoria, Wasaga Beach, Whitby, Waterloo, Windsor.

Back To Top